Tuesday, August 26, 2014

On the Bus








Despite the fact that he is not feeling his best - he is on that bus!  (both his pediatrician who saw him yesterday and his kindergarten teacher told me he could go and go home if it doesn't work out).  It's his first day, he needed to do it!  Let's hope he makes it at least until lunch.  

His neighbor, who is in 5th grade, came over to help him on the bus and make him feel comfortable. While Brady was nicely explaining things to Joel, James continued to interrupt: "I have an airplane."  Nice.  Joel had the look on his face which I love, when he is super pleased with the way things are going.  Not quite a full on smile - but everything, his eyes, cheeks are smiling big, hard to explain.  My favorite look.  

I told him I loved him, and that he is so smart, and that I am proud of him.  We reminded him his lunch password, and told him to be nice to the adults, ask them their names and say pleases and thank yous.  Then I watched as he willingly walked over to that big yellow bus, sat down and waved.  It pulled away and I of course immediately started to cry.

Hit the fast forward button folks, it has started.  School days and schedules and growing up way to fast.  It's hard to believe that just five years ago I was irrationally freaking out about breastfeeding instead of enjoying my little guy.  Its hard to think that our adventures at Museums have been halted until next summer or school vacation days - or generally to when HIS schedule permits.  He is going to surprise me with what he learns, he is going to keep growing, and I am going to be taking tiny steps further and further back.  

Today was the biggest step back I have had to take thus far, and boy did he take a giant leap forward to make up for it.  Joel Andrew - you are brave, smart, kind, curious, and proud.  You will do great man.  (here's hoping your body keeps up with your mind's will to be in school today!).  I really hope to see you beaming off that school bus at 3, and then it is straight to nap buddy.  Gotta rest up for tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!! I came back today just to see how your little guy did at school!! So happy for him and prayers with you as you make this difficult transition. Blessings,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Annette - and kisses to your gorgeous family!!!

    ReplyDelete