There are a few things I will take away from me from this trip:
- The boys kept calling the Wampanoag men, women and children - Indians. In front of them. (there are a bunch of native americans who are actually in a Wampanoag Village who are here to help people understand more about this life, it is really cool and interesting). But, each time my eldest and usually nicest son approached one he would yell, "Look, there is an Indian!" Not sure how well that was greeted with the actual Native American people. Didn't seem so out of place with the role players… The kicker is I made extra sure not to say Indian, and slipped once - calling the place an Indian Village. They heard that one slip, and it was all over.
- I share with you - the inside of the colonists houses are perfect for taking awesome photos. You should go, around Thanksgiving, and dress your kids for the holidays and take shots here it is so awesome. Now if only the boys could stay still…
- They may have been too young to really get it, but it was good to keep introducing them to these things. To see their minds get blown when I explained this Museum chronicles a time that is 150 years earlier than Mommy's Museum (which they consider to be super old) was amazing. They are not fully getting it, but it is helping them on the path to appreciate these visits and so one day when we go later they will be more comfortable to ask the role players questions, to absorb the history a bit more. At least, I hope? I'm a Museum professional, I have to think this way…
- Joel Andrew is a bear when he is hungry. He can be super mean and he will bribe you. Overheard at our lunch table while waiting for food yesterday: "I promise I will not stop whining until you give me that thing…" What?!?!??! Good luck Kindergarten teacher!
If you go:
- Make sure you have good shoes (not sandals, lots of walking in the dirt here, which I should have known).
- Make sure your child is ready to walk, a long way. And, if not - bring a stroller. I saw many a person with a stroller here - mostly there are no stairs. However, the path ways are uneven at times. Babies in carriers are ideal so you can go in and out of huts and houses too.
- You can get your ticket ahead of time online. You can see the Wamponaug Village, the Colonists Village, the Craft demonstration and an exhibit at the actual Plantation. You will see the Mayflower II elsewhere, and will need a separate ticket for that one - so don't go thinking you will see the boat. It won't happen - though the boat is only 20 minutes away and in downtown Plymouth with good restaurants.
- Children under 5 are free - you may want to time a visit with your fam to take advantage of this.
- The restaurant is more of a cafeteria style - but it is actually not too bad. The five of us ate for $30 or so - and the boys had mac and cheese which they loved and I had a succotash which made me feel Colonial. We had to wait for the food though - and there are many, many beautiful places to picnic here so if I had more time I might have packed a lunch.
- Prep your kids ahead of time about interacting with the costumed people - or else they are just wandering in a old timey set - like Disney or something. Older kids would benefit from an explanation between the difference of the actual Wamponaug Native Americans - who are here to teach you in the present tense about their culture and history - and the roleplaying Colonists.
- See above about bringing a camera.
- There is a 14 minute video at the start, which my kids sat through no problem and gives a good introduction for the adults. I would suggest checking it out, but moving all the way to the end of the row so that in the event of meltdown you can just go out the exit which is on the opposite side of the theater.
- I can't stress enough how important it is to get your kids to interact - both from a Museum professional standpoint and from a Mom who has shy kids. Since mine were too shy - I asked questions for them and at least they heard the responses. They were able to hear the accents and the "funny language" of the role players and start to get a feel for it all. If you do not know what to ask - even the most basic question is the best - How many people would live in this room? Where is the bathroom? What is your favorite dinner? What do you do for work? How do you talk with your family back home and will you see them again?



No comments:
Post a Comment