Golf has 18 holes - A baby must be fed 8-10 times a day. You can do really well on one hole, and the next get stuck in the sand trap or water hazard.
You have good days, and you have bad days. Some days you get so frustrated you swear you will never play again.
You can take lessons, but no one can swing for you.
This week, a few times, I felt like the guy from Sideways. You know, when he gets yelled at on the course and goes running down the fairway swinging the club after another golfer. The next day, a better day, I was Tiger Woods.
Those who know me well know that I do not love Golf. I refuse to do 18 holes in one day, and when I score I use happy faces and unhappy faces. I added this smiley face scoring system to my game a few years ago in order to take the pressure off. I seemed to play much better when a number was not looming over my head. I have decided that this system also applies to breastfeeding.
Today we had a 6/8 smiley face day, which is an overall super-smiley face in my book! It helps to learn that there are so many others out there who also share in my struggle. You think mother nature would make this easy, but alas.

Some photos for you. See how long Joel Andrew is next to Angus, Turskey (my stuffed animal as a child), and Lu-Seal (Big Joel's stuffed animal as a child). Little Joel had his two week Doctor visit today, and he is up to 8 pounds, 4 ounces! Despite our troubles, he continues to eat, eat, eat, one way or another and is growing fast!
Also, check Little Joel out in his polo - just like Daddy!
Just testing to see if I can post a Comment!
ReplyDeleteBreastfeeding is very, very hard. It's funny because that isn't something portrayed in the media. You are doing a great job! If you want a couple of tips from my 4+ months of breastfeeding: build up a small freezer stash. I would pump after each feeding and have enough for a small bottle before Cameron's bedtime. That way Jeremy could put her down too or do a middle of the night feeding if I was just exhausted. Plus it increases your supply. If you are worried about your supply try Fenugreek (pill form). I think you have to take 6-8 a day. Check out kellymom.com for other tricks and tips. It totally gets better! Don't be afraid to use a nipple shield either. I used one for 8 weeks and it saved my sanity and my nipples :-) We will be up in ME visiting my folks starting on 8/18 if you want to get together and chat.
ReplyDeleteOh and if you use Fenugreek then be careful. If LJ starts really fussing at the breast after you've taken a couple of doses then he may not be able to digest it. I had that problem with Cameron so I couldn't take Fenugreek. I wish I could have though!
ReplyDelete