The day started simple enough. LJ actually slept pretty late for him. Usually after his 7:30 feeding he goes back to bed until about 9. Today at 10:15 I was standing over his crib checking for breathing. A few minutes later he awoke, a very happy baby. We read two books ("Peter Rabbit's I Love You" and "If You Give a Moose a Muffin"), were changed (during which time he managed to pee all over the changing pad and table), had a good twenty minutes of mat time, ate, and cat napped. Things were going so well, and we had so much entertainment that I decided to quickly get him in the car for a few errands.
I should have known, the sleeping late was not going to make for a happy trip to the bank. He cried in the car, where he usually passes out by the time we are at the end of the driveway. I decided to drive to Rye to see if he would tire-out. No dice. Famished, as lunch (for me) was to be part of our outing, I stopped at Me & Ollies. Lots of children in there, so I thought I was covered in the event of screaming fit. He was pretty good! He smiled at the lady at the counter and seemed to be enjoying looking around at his new surroundings. Back in the car, I swear I could hear giggles from the back seat. What's this? A happy, awake baby in public, let's try it! Let's go to the bank.
That was bad thinking. A happy awake baby only lasts for so long until one of the three important things needs to get done, eat, poop or sleep. While at the bank, LJ decided either one or two needed to happen - right now.
I walked in, to get an account opened for him - we were there for him - and they put me with the new associate. I knew this was trouble from the start. At this point he was still pleasant in his car seat. But at about the fifth time she needed to get up to ask a question (not her fault, she was trying very hard and I think sensed my urgency to get this done), he started. It started simple enough. I gave him my pinky finger which soothed him for a bit. At question number 8 though, LJ had had enough. It was time to leave and eat right now. He screamed. I didn't know what to do. Do I take him out of the car seat? That alone can take five minutes of even louder screaming. The associate quickly finished the work, bank account opened, checks deposited, and tried to make small talk with me as I collected my things and bolted out. On my way out I saw it... the disapproving look of an old man. He was probably thinking "who brings a hungry baby to the bank?" I wanted to scream "I swear I just fed him an hour ago!" Cranky old man.
The car ride home was my punishment for pushing the limits of our fun. I knew he wasn't up for a trip out, and I still thought we could make it. He screamed the entire Drinkwater Road home, which is 5 miles of 25-30 mile an hour strict driving. Do you know how hard it is to go 25 miles an hour with a screaming infant in the back? I didn't know whether to pull over or just see if I could get him home. Just 5 minutes I kept saying, louder and louder.
The good news is he forgave me. We got home, and all was well. I promised there would be no more trips in the bank again (thank those who invented the drive-up ATM) - but told him one day he would thank me for opening this account.
I feel for you, because I'm the same way - when my baby cries in public, I feel certain that everyone around me thinks it's all my fault and I'm a horrible mother. Now that I'm on kid #2 (who for a while seemed destined to HATE Target because she always cried there)I've got slightly thicker skin, but it still bothers me.
ReplyDeleteCar crying is the worst - enclosed environment, and no way to help your baby! I used to communte with Finn when he was a baby, 40 minutes each way. I can't even begin to guess at the number of times I was thisclose to pulling over because I couldn't take the crying anymore...
I always chant this mantra when it happens to me, "I will be better next time and not run as many errands with Cameron." It helps! But you will be amazed. Give it two months and he will be good for an hour stretch at a time. I know, woo hoo?!?
ReplyDelete