See, my new genius plan - which has allowed me a new lease on life - was to go three months "breastfeeding" (can I call it that since it is 100% my milk but only 10% of the time from the source directly?). Then, at the three month mark gradually introduce formula and by 6 months be phased out to formula. Genius right? I can slowly lessen my pumping sessions, I can stop waking up at 3 am whether the baby us up or not to pump, and I can stop stressing about this. Not to mention, the little guy can stop going through my stress, and the whole process altogether. As, I may not have mentioned since my whine seems louder, but the only person who hates the boobie feeding more than me, is my son. If I give him a bottle, he seems to forget all about the source of where it came from (he is getting to be a grade A American after all).
Anywho. As you may imagine, the LC's were none too thrilled with my plan. In their ever-so-supportive tone, they noted I am doing a good job. I should continue. I told them my supply is diminishing because of lack of latching. I mean, how long can a pump keep up this charade? They told me that is an old wives tale, drink some tea and relax it will not diminish. I think I could hear their funding being cut in the background if they were to loose me to the formula world. She knew I was waivering, because in the end she pulled out the big guns: "breastfed babies are healthier babies."
Thus, no advice on transitioning to formula. Is it better to just go for it, or to slowly introduce? If you slowly introduce, do you do it in each feeding or pick one feeding a day?
Since I can't relate to the comments on feeding, I have one thing to say. Those are the cutest pictures ever, good job on capturing the expressions.
ReplyDeleteNana
What a cutie! And sorry about the run-around the LC's gave you - that's a crock of poop and NOT helpful.
ReplyDeleteYou can try introducing formula a few different ways. You can do a straight bottle of all formula, one feeding a day (increasing the number as you wean from pumping). However, some babies don't like the taste at first, since it's "different" than what they are used to. So you could try mixing it with your breastmilk at first for one or two bottles a day (1/4 to 3/4, then 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 to 1/4), then work up to no breastmilk in those bottles.
Don't be surprised if he has some trouble adjusting (digestively) to the formula at first - it is harder for them to process and it may give him more gas/firmer poops (sorry for the poop talk!). Another reason to maybe try the gradual mixing approach. You may even need to try different formulas before you find one that he digests well. Just make sure you give each one a few days to really see how he does with it before you switch to another one. Sometimes they just need a brief period of adjustment before it all evens out.
You're plan sounds great!
Allison
You pump 30 oz a day? Wow! I did one bottle a day of formula and then it went to two..etc. I did not do the "mix" of BM and formula - too hard to keep track of with 2 babies. You are about to hit crazy fussy gas time for LJ - Ned was just about this age...Good luck. It will pass in a few weeks but it is torture.
ReplyDelete