Thursday, October 22, 2009

Trends

So, I decided to break out a DVD of photos of Joel and I when we were babies, so I can compare them to photos of our little guy and see who he looks like more (how evil of me, right?). First of all, a big thanks to Keri who painstakingly pulled together this DVD of photos of both Joel and I for my baby shower. It was so special, and continues to be a really fun present to look at and enjoy!

Watching the DVD, I could not conclude who he looks like more. Sometimes he looks just like me, sometimes he looks like Joel. No answer there. But, I did conclude that my parents, and for that matter, Joel's parents had weird taste! (Sorry guys). You should see some of the fabrics on the couches we were sitting on as kids. Green corduroy. Literally. And the hairstyles! And the clothes! There is a picture of me in a bathroom with paisley wallpaper. This made me laugh, but also made me feel old. My parents and Joel's parents did not have poor taste, they just followed the decorations of the time, late 70s early 80s. WOW. I am old.
So, this got me thinking to today. Will 30 years from now LJ look back at this ancient thing called a blog and laugh at all of these photos? How different is my lime green couch from my Mom's corduroy one? Will the Boppy last the next 30 years or become as dated a toy as the Big Bird plastic chair both Joel and I had?
To prove that not everything goes out of style, here LJ lies on my Mom's blanket. Yes - this yellow and white blanket was first my Mom's (sans yellow and white cover back then), then mine (I had the cover), now his. Sure I washed the heck out of it to get the "old" out... But it is still good.
Keeping with the trends of his childhood, I have the Bumbo out and ready to go (for those of you who do not know what this is, just wait, you will see photos soon). All 2009 parents have photos of their kids in this thing.

Also, I recently shelled out $20 for Sophie the Giraffe. She is coming in the mail. A friend of mine noted her latest purchase of Sophie on Facebook, because all of her daughter's "little friends" had a Sophie. How funny is it that because a bunch of 5 month olds have this little plastic giraffe, she had to run out and spend $20 on one herself, I thought. Then I saw a picture of Sophie and it hit me that a bunch of LJ's friends also have one. So what did I do? Immediately went on Amazon to buy one as well...

I am sure 30 years from now I will be bringing the yellow blanket, the bumbo, potentially the Boppy and of course Sophie over, in a old and smelly box to LJ's new house. And, I am sure he will roll his eyes and not want another box of "stuff" collecting dust in the attic. Full circle!

No comments:

Post a Comment