Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On Strike Again

Well, we have been having fun in the shining sun for sure, but some stresses have followed their way down to Hilton Head. He sleeps just fine (which I am thankful for!)... Actually, he sleeps almost too much. We spend a lot of time in the house waiting for him to wake up from his nap. Yesterday I actually had to wake him up from a nap in order for us to get our table at the Salty Dog. Luckily, he did just fine and loved every minute of the Salty Dog experience.
He is such a fan of going out to eat now, and trying new foods, that he is DONE with the bottle. I was able to force down 20 ounces for a while, then right after his recent first ear infection he was back up to 26 ounces a day. But now, ever since we introduced grilled cheese to him (cut into ridiculously tiny pieces), no more bottle. Usually his morning bottle he chows down in two seconds and then he will at least do two to four ounces in the afternoon, and then another evening bottle. Now, we struggle to get his morning bottle down.
I literally think this morning we got 4 ounces in him, that is all (usually 8, with an added 2-3 in cereal). The kiddo likes to eat so much, that he is just done with the formula. I am not sure what do to. I know I will keep cramming the stuff down. His 9 month appointment is just around the corner so we will find out more then. But in the meantime he is loving all the foods I have been making him (which is an improvement, because he went on mushed food strike a few weeks ago). And, he loves, loves, loves to feed himself. Blueberries, pasta, egg yolk, beans, shredded cheese, green beans, watermelon, tofu, puffs, cheerios, and because I forgot to bring finger food to the restaurant - grilled cheese too. (I figured since he is approved to eat toast, and to eat cheese, he could eat grilled cheese, right? This is probably my downfall, as he is after all Joel's son, and once you go to grilled cheese, how can you ever want to eat anything else?) When I am not looking Joel is giving him whatever too. He is like a baby garbage can for food.
I did make the mistake of giving him raw mushrooms, which he loved. I tend to do this a lot, where I think, yeah, he should be able to eat that, then I give it to him and after the fact read the wholesomebabyfood.com website which then freaks me out and tells me I have just poisoned my child. Nice.
Any other thoughts on how I may get him back on the bottle wagon? Or, is it necessary? I am def going to stop with the grilled cheese... But, what about if we were boobie feeding still? I have a lot of boobie feeding moms who are not concerned with the amount of ounces their kiddos are getting. Sometimes their kiddos only go once or twice a day, and eat the rest of the time and their Drs are not concerned. What about Baby Led Weaning? (something I have heard of, but know nothing about). Still, I should not fool myself, 9 months is a little too early to be not wanting the bottle, again.

3 comments:

  1. Now that J is almost 9 months you can totally let him eat (almost) anything he wants. Just stay away from apples, peanut butter, chips (like Doritos/Lays b/c they get shards stuck). I really let Cameron guide me here. Grilled cheese is totaly OK! And don't read those safety websites...they are designed to make us crazy. Dropping ounces substantially is totally normal. I'd give it another week or two and his formula consumption will be back up to normal. You also might want to start spacing his meals differently. At his age I did the following with Cameron:

    7 AM wake up/bottle
    8:30 AM solid food breakfast
    9 AM nap
    11/11:30 AM wake up/bottle
    12:30/1 PM solid food lunch
    1/1:30 PM nap
    3/3:30 PM wake up/bottle
    5/5:30 PM solid food dinner
    6/6:30 PM bottle
    7 PM bed time

    The schedule worked great for us for 4+ months. Now that we are off bottles during the day it has changed. Glad you are having a nice time in HH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! So funny that Stacey is pointing out that you should stay away from peanut butter. Ask her about that time that she thought it was OK to give it at 12 months, and let her 11 month old have some, until her older, wiser sister pointed out that the PB rule is 24 months, not 12...

    I don't have advice on the formula thing - both of my kids have always been happy to suck their bottles down. But isn't it great that J is such a good eater? You are lucky! I know the difference - Finn wouldn't try anything, it was a struggle to get him to eat solids. Lucy loves EVERYTHING (except the chicken sausage we offered her 2 nights ago, apparently). It's wonderful! Enjoy it!

    And, love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woops - Ned had PB at 9 months. Whatever, he never showed signs of allergies. Switch him to a sippy cup/straw cup during meals. We did that with Ned at 9 months. We started doign a bottle after means (sippy cup/straw cup with) for Ned around 9 months b/c the kid loved his food. Here was his scehdule at a year but we started it around 11 months (which is around the corner for you): http://www.mommyesq.com/2009/08/stats-and-schedules.html

    If he is growing don't stress about ounces - you wouldn't think about it if you were BFing, right? Same idea. Just make sure to offer him liquids for hydration during meals.

    ReplyDelete