Friday, August 26, 2011

To Potty or Not To Potty


Ok, I am a terrible Mom here... but I am just telling the truth. This is what we are supposed to do on our blogs. But, I do not want to potty train my son...yet. He just turned two at the end of July, and I think that starting before 2-1/2 (which will be January) is a big mistake. I have watched too many people try too young time and time again, and have issues later on. Plus, I want to at least wait until he is in a toddler bed, and I am not doing that until Baby James is sleeping through the night for at least a month first. I need a month of good sleep before we embark on anything else that can tamper with it!

So, I made up my mind. I went to a potty training class a few months ago. I looked into it, we bought a potty and let Joel look at it (well, actually now I hide it because it is a big pain in the ass when he says he wants to use it. A nightmare of me wrangling with a dirty diaper - cue baby crying in the background, then Joel sits there and argues with me about the pee flap thing and then gets up and say all done... then I am chasing him around the house while he is totally naked and Baby James is still screaming. not so awesome). Ok, lost myself. I have researched. I have a plan. It will be much like we did cry it out with Joel, a hard, fast approach. Diapers one day, underwear the next. And lots of laundry in between. Potty boot camp. This is what I think will work with my son. Coming soon, January 2012.

Well, it looks like the previews are out as day care has a different plan. They just moved Joel Andrew up to the "twos" room. The big boy room, he is so grown up. This room shares with the "threes," and guess what is a big topic of learning, conversation, and focus of the day for all involved? Yes, the potty. So, now Joel comes home with stickers on his schedule, for "trying the potty." At first I was a little offended. Yes, offended. Why didn't they talk about this with us first? I bet you other parents are just thrilled that daycare will teach their kids... Not me, I know what this means... But Joel acted as normal that evening, and the next day, so I thought - fine, they will teach him or play with him the potty at school and it will not effect home, drives, sleeping, etc. He will know it is a school thing and perhaps if he gets good at it at school will be able to translate it into full time later. Maybe?

But no. Yesterday I went to pick Joel Andrew up from school and the teachers come running at me. Guess what? Guess what? Joel peed in the potty twice today! Twice! Trying to mask the look of horror on my face, I smiled, like an evil Snow White witch smile. Sure enough, we get home and first thing Joel wants to do is go to the potty. Cue story from above, carbon copy.

What do we do? Do we go with it? I would tell school not to do it, but he is in the room all day long with all the other kids doing it... He is too young!

1 comment:

  1. He is very young so just let the daycare do what they want and don't push it at home. I do recommend putting the potty out now though if he's interested in it. I recently decided to not push Cameron for at least another couple of months because even at almost 2.5 she's not "ready" yet. You know? Until he is more consistently asking to use the potty and then GOING immediately he is not ready. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete