Monday, February 13, 2012

Seacoast United

 Today we went to the Seacoast United indoor soccer place for play time.  This weekend was girls weekend, and although Joel Husband did a great job keeping the house clean, and the boys fed, etc - they did not leave the house the entire weekend.  So, this morning the first thing we did was get out to some place where Joel Andrew could run.  And, run he did.  I ran with him while Baby James chilled in the corner.  It was a great time!  $5, one hour, now we can have quiet time while Baby James naps.
BUT - and a big but here.  Towards the end I could tell Joel Andrew was getting thirsty and hungry.  He was also getting pissed that I had now started to carry Baby James (lots of people started showing up and he could not longer chill in peace).  Finally, I was chatting with another Mom - and he turned into MEGA BRAT.  After a few tantrums, I finally got him outside. In the parking lot he broke away from me and ran away.  This is the second time in less than a week he has done this.  I screamed bloody murder and yanked him by his hood on his jacket.  Still does not seem to be getting across to him.  Fine, throw a tantrum, but run in the parking lot?  What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. OK, what the hell is it with fathers who just stay at home with the kids? Do they not understand that you must take kids out of the house and stimulate them, even if it's just to the grocery store? My husband does this too and it drives me nuts. Fortunately the next time I'm away Cameron has a birthday party so I'm making him take her there at least.

    Joel Andrew is old enough to put him in timeout when you get home. We also do a lot of "talking": this is the parking lot, it's dangerous, we can't ever leave the house again if you don't hold our hands, etc. The combination seems to have worked. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy - I couldn't agree more. My husband watches my two boys twice a week and they NEVER leave the house! And he wonders why the almost three year old is tearing the house apart by the time I get home?!

    Again - Stacy is right on with her advice. We talk a lot about cars, and how dangerous a parkinglot is. And we have rules - he must hold my hand, or the stroller - or if I'm putting my little one in, he has to have one hadn on the car, or tree at all times. If Dominick doesn't listen - then we do a time out, right then and there. He sits on the tailgate of my car - quietly, not playing. Then we have a conversation about why he had a time out. LOTS of talking before and after - but there's not much that will sink in if he's having a tantrum. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete