Today we went to the See Science Center in Manchester, NH. What an awesome place! I guess I was not expecting much, since it is in Manchester, but it was fantastic! First of all, kids under 3 are free; adults are only $8 (I was free with my ASTC/ACM membership, which I am now up to $96used/$120 spent), and it is huge! Well, certainly not as huge as the Boston Science Museum, but pretty big. Two floors! One floor has a massive Lego town, with a choo-choo that goes around and round, so Joel Andrew was content staring at that for hours. I think Joel Husband finally found his volunteering niche should they need assistance building a massive lego town again. He could totally help them.
Anyway, the very simple and easy to use science experiments were all over the place. Kids that are 2 can operate them and have a good time, and kids that are as old as 12 can actually learn the principles behind them. It was genius the way they set things up. Not too many labels to overwhelm or bore kids, and lots of interactive fun too - a place where you can pull yourself up in a chair, a place to make music, a place to have a ball float on air (clearly the scientific stuff was lost on me but I had a baby and a toddler to deal with, people... maybe in a few years).
There was even a baby/toddler area for Baby James, who was shocked when he could participate in our Museum going. I am not trying to badmouth MoS here, but something about that place is so overwhelming. This was very easy to get around, easy to see your kids (I hate museums that have so many tall exhibits that your kid can disappear around a corner ever two seconds), just easy in general.
Clearly, Joel Andrew and James had a ball. There was one point though, when Joel Andrew flat out ran away from me. I lost my parenting cool but I firmly believe that they need to know they can't run away in public, right? This happens to others right? Your not shocked and horrified are you? Anyway, we both calmed down and had a good ride home for Quesadilla.
Now Mommy is about to go off on girl's ski weekend! I cannot wait... Joel is in nap, 15 more minutes for Baby James to nap and then Mommy packs up! What do you think Daddy is going to do at home with the boys all weekend? This is one of the first times he will have the two for an extended period of time... Maybe the first time he has brought them out in public together alone? No, probably the 3rd... But still! I think they will be good. But what am I going to come home to...


No comments:
Post a Comment