Monday, March 9, 2015

Joel Andrew's First Concert


For the rest of his life, Joel Andrew will always have the best first concert story.  Honestly, have you ever been in a room with a bunch of people - this works if you know each other well, or not at all, or a mix of both - and played the "what was your first concert?" story.  This is very telling for a ton of people, telling of their age, their taste, or where they grew up and it is a ton of fun.  

When Joel Andrew is asked this question in college, or at work, or with friends many, many years from now - his answer will always be the coolest:

James Taylor, in Munich Germany.  And, I met him and got his signed autograph too.

When we booked the trip, Joel Husband found out that James Taylor would be there at the same time we were, and he asked me if we should go to the concert - for which I replied: "OF COURSE!"  We got tickets, and later planned to meet up with Hubi and his family, which required us to get a few more tickets.  Hubi was horrified when he heard we would take Joel Andrew to the concernt - he warned us that Germans would think it was weird that we brought a 5-year old to a nighttime rock concert.  I tried to explain to Hubi who James Taylor was - and I think 2 minutes into the concert he got it, Joel Andrew was ok to be there.

We got to hear all of the best hits, and I was sad not to have my Baby James with me.  Just when I decided one more song - Fire and Rain was that last song - it comes on, and Joel Andrew springs up that he has to go to the bathroom.  So, we only heard two bars…  But at least we heard that!

At the intermission the Joel's had snuck down to the floor where James was signing autographs, and who can say no to a 5 year old american boy in germany wearing a bow tie?  The rest, is history!

2 comments:

  1. My first concert: MENUDO. That's right.

    Oh, the irony that I ended up living in Puerto Rico!!

    ReplyDelete