Monday, March 9, 2015

Munich with a Kindergartner

Our first day and a half in Munich we are flying solo- like we have done thus far this entire trip.  But, this afternoon our favorite German - Hubi will be arriving and showing us around for the remainder of the trip.  More about the awesomeness of Hubi later.  For now, let's discuss what to do with a five year old in Munich.

I can tell you I did not have high hopes.  It was really hard to leave venice.  I knew our hotel would not be as nice, I knew I would no longer be able to try to speak the language and I knew I would not know where I was at all.  Plus, how much beer can I possibly have? What else is there to do? 

There is a ton and we had a ton of fun wandering around yesterday.  We first went to the big clock in the town square which everyday at 11, 12 and some say 5- plays lots of music and then these large people dance around and reenact German history,  sounds cool right? Well it was built in the early twentieth century and has not had much in the way of upgrades - nor should it.  It is a cool piece of history for sure. But I overly got my five year old excited about it and the next thing you know we were not appreciating it as much as we should.  So don't hype it up to the little guys, or yourself!  It is fun, but not as Disney as you would assume.

Straight from there we went to the toy museum - lots of little kids were fascinated looking at the old toys, not so much mine.  We enchanted him with a trip to the toy store afterwards and bought some cool things for friends back home.

The early afternoon was spent at Vitrulenmarkt.  This is the equivalent of the market we went to in Vienna, or an outdoor open air market you might find in any major city, but in the middle are lots of picnic tables and a place to buy beer.  Though it was slightly cold, we bough the beer and then I went to some of the market stands and got some cheese and Joel Andrew had yet another hot dog.  My guess is he has had 58 hot dogs this entire trip - and that is not an exaggeration.  Anyway, we sat, drank, watched people, ate, and it was fun.  Afterwards I got some really nice handmade things at the market, we walked around at little bit more, went into the famous  St. Peters and then rested again at a bier hall- where, you guessed it - Joel Andrew ate sausages (hot dogs) and Mommy and Daddy drank beer. 

The only Museum we went to today was the Treasury of the Palace - not the Palace, as I was worried we had all had enough of that, but the Treasury.  This was an awesome space with jewels and all sorts of relics and crazy things.  Joel Andrew took hold of the audio guide and would not let it go.  He listened, and actually absorbed things.  Joel Husband also enjoyed the audio guide - leaving me audio guileless.  But I enjoyed watching my two Joel's learn and soak up history, even if I had no idea what I was looking at!  (although I do remember that Ludwig II was really nice to his wife, and they got a sweet present - a full "travel kit" from distinguished frenchmen when they got married - a "toiletry kit" in a handmade box with combs, and bottles with gold caps, and a tea set for two as well.

At one point while we were walking around, we saw a bunch of people rubbing noses of a lion, so I made the boys do it.  Then, I googled it and realized it was for good luck.  See, sometimes it is so good not to make a plan, you just stumble upon these things.  Later in our trip we walked by, no joke, a statue of Juliet with her boob all rubbed off - and I googled that and you are supposed to rub her one breast and that means you will find the love of your life and have eternal happiness.  Joel Husband refused to rub it, saying its all over anyway...











It was a nice, fun relaxing adventure for us - we all explored the new city and culture together, and all in our own way - tasting new and different things and taking in new and different sites.  I am glad we had less structure today, because it was relaxing and fun.  Though we are stuffed to the gills!

No comments:

Post a Comment