Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Eating

Last night we tried out a new family go-to dinner. It was sort of a success.

My toddler has not eaten meat willingly in a few months. He is generally a big eater, but something happened around Halloween and he is totally turned off to meat. Whether it be hot dogs, hamburger meat, meat sauce, etc. The only exception - Chicken Nuggets.

My family is particularly challenging. Husband does not like anything "weird" Toddler does not eat meat now and is starting to not like anything "weird." And, I have a Baby who wants to eat everything, but because he is only 8 months old I need to keep it simple, but at least let him try some new tastes. I like to eat everything, and miss eating things like fish, other veggies besides green beans, cucumbers and peppers, things with flavors like curry, etc. The way I formerly dealt with this was just to make two separate dinners, one for my husband and one for me. This turned into three separate dinners when Joel Andrew started to become difficult, and now four with the baby? I do not think so. I need to get back to one dinner, eat it and like it. And, Mommy should have stuff we like too (plus, the food list that they eat is boring, and not very long).

So, last night I tried Taco Dinner. Like the kind you buy from Old El Paso. Others have this in their repertoire, but we did not because Husband was not a fan. But he is now. It is simple, easy, and everyone can customize their own meal from the few things I made. I found that for the most part, the dinner worked well for all of us.

I made it with ground turkey, which significantly cut the weight watchers points. I also added whole wheat tortillas as an option. Low-fat sour cream, cheese, and sliced avocado. As well as chopped tomatoes, peppers and onions. Finally, salsa for Mommy. It took some pleading, but Joel Andrew eventually at the meat. Baby James had some great finger foods from this meal: turkey (before I added the spices, though next time I think I will give it to him no matter what, new research suggests spices are great for baby), cut up tortilla, shredded cheese and of course avocado. 10 points for Mommy, and happy and fed family! New on the list for us. Next time I might not buy the whole kit though and just get the tacos and come up with my own seasoning from stuff I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment