Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Few Degrees

You have heard of six degrees of separation? Pretty much everyone on the planet is connected through each other. Two degrees away from James and I sits a 9 -1/2 month old boy. He lives in the next town over and has had a very similar life to James in many ways. We most likely met him in a play date over the summer or fall, but I am a flake and I do not really remember. But I am sure after today I will not forget about him.

Yesterday his Mommy died. And I am sad to think what the little boy will do without her. I know she loved him, and I know he depended on her. He will not remember her, he will have some pictures. Someone from the family will no doubt end up raising this boy, but will it be the way his mother had wanted?

I am sad. It was a sad and tragic situation in which she passed, which will make it even harder for this boy as he grows up and learns more about her. I hope he can look past it and know that his Mom loved him. I hope that if he does stay in town, one day he and James will be in class together, and he will be happy. At the very least we should all take from this situation that it is a blessing to be with our children, to see them grow, to be the ones that raise them.

This morning, when I could not take my toddler saying the same thing for the 15th time, while changing my baby's blowout that was all over the carpet, while being exhausted because he woke me up at 5, while wishing my husband would get home from his business trip, I did not have this perspective. No matter how bad the day is, no matter how terrible it all feels, it will pass, there is help and the reward will be to see your kids grow. I am so sad for this woman that she has missed out on that opportunity. But most of all, I am very sad for this little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment