Monday, January 23, 2012

Museum of Science, Boston (again)


We have been busy!  Read down to not miss a moment (plus I think what I wrote about the Movie Store was pretty funny, I am still in disbelief).  Today we went to the Museum of Science, Boston - I used my Association of Science/Children's Museum card to get us in!  (I currently am at $120 cost/ $70 received).  Did you know it is $22 for an adult to get in there, and $19 for a child over 3 (Joel Andrew was free this time)?  I can't imagine how families can afford this!  And, parking to boot!


Well, I think we figured it out.  Everyone who goes there goes on school trip.  The place is overrun with school groups, who have no concern if you are trying to sift through their crowd with a baby on one arm, a toddler running around and a stroller to push through.  I actually pulled a Hedy (my mother) and found a staff member and told them I would not be coming here again.  The staff member explained that they do have school groups almost every week day, and school vacation weeks are also bad as they offer 1/2 price or free days.  She suggested Sunday mornings, before noon - and swears the place is a ghost town then.  Funny, I work very hard to stay away from public places on the weekends, but she maybe right.  I wonder if this trick would also work for the aquarium.


We met friends Milly and Milly's Mom Amy there as well, and Joel Andrew was having a great time.  He was building things, asking questions, seemed very interested in everything there was to offer.  He kept reminding me he wanted to see the dinosaurs.  When we were in the elevator to go to see where the eggs hatch - a staff member (not the one I yelled at) - asked him where he was going and to my surprise he said: "to see the baby chicks!"  I hadn't really described it too him that much. I couldn't believe he got all that.


Here is the scariest part for me.  All day he kept saying he wanted to see the three dinosaurs. When we were walking towards the wing with the dinosaurs, he was pointing and leading the way.  So much so I made sure he went out in front and I just followed him.  He has only been to this Museum once before, and that was 6 months ago.  What a smartie!  He knew right where they were and pointed up at the big T-Rex as soon as we got there.  And, to my surprise, there were 3 right there.  I had forgotten, he remembered.  I am a little freaked out.  Maybe he has that Mary Tyler Moore thing.  Is that the right person I am thinking of?  Who remembers everything?


When school groups weren't running the place, we did get to tinker with some of the other exhibits.  Most of it was just pushing buttons but some of it was learning too.  He loved to see his shadow and look at the reflections in the light room; touch the ball in the electricity room; and of course climb in and out and in and out of the "space shuttle."


Baby James had a great time as well.  We did start the day in the Discovery Center, so he had ample time to crawl and cruise around.  I think he was just so fascinated by all of the people as well.  We all enjoyed the Gecko exhibit (Joel Andrew wants one).  When asked what was his favorite, it was the space shuttle.  But now a few hours later all he continues to talk about is the dinosaurs!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're thinking of Marilu Henner. And sounds like "Pulling a Hedy" is pretty similar to the "Pulling a Susan" that my siblings and I always talk about whenever we have to essentially be a PITA in a public place. :-)

    We've had field trip issues at the zoo, too. Masses and masses of kids, and far too few adults keeping a handle on them. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew,
    Sorry we missed you at the museum! We went to the 1:30 live animal exhibit but didn't see you there. I agree with you on how crazy all of the school trips were! A few times I thought Elena was going to get trampled by the middle-schoolers. After we got out of the Pompeii exhibit around 3:00, all of the school groups were gone and it was wonderful!

    We were saying how it might be better to go to the musuem after naps and then stay in the city for dinner, head home afterwards.

    Hopefully we'll catch up with you on one your trips someday!

    Hope all is well.
    Jen P.

    ReplyDelete