Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Best Mother's Day Ever

My third Mother's Day was certainly a charm.  Last year this time I was a little preoccupied with a new baby so hardly enjoyed a moment's peace let alone any Mother's Day treats.  The year before I forced my husband to go golfing.  So, this year I was going to enjoy it.  My parents and my great Aunt Pat were also in town, so we needed to do something with little to no work, and lots of fun.


Something I love, and that my family is famous with - is buffet eating.  Yes, we are big time buffet eaters. I love a good buffet.  I am not talking about the cheesy 9.99 buffets either.  I am talking the expensive ones, at fancy hotels, with raw bar and big cuts of meat under hot red lamps.  I grew up on these things.  And I haven't been to one in ages, and for that matter, my kids have never been to one either.  So, it is time, I decided.


The Wentworth By The Sea has a nice brunch, I hear.  And, it was true.  We immediately took the lay of the land Hall style and dug right in.  Baby James is truly a Hall because he was ready to try many, many new things.  He ate about 5 shrimp, like a champ.  Joel Andrew was just happy to eat voluminous quantities of mac and cheese.  But I brought it and took multiple trips.  Including two to the raw bar.


The kids did really well for having to sit at a restaurant with table cloths for more than an hour.  They needed a walk around or two, and the men took turns letting the Moms of various caliber take a breather and enjoy more food.  Afterwards Aunt Pat and Mom went to get massages, and I took all the boys, including my husband and Dad to the Seacoast Science Center for more fun before nap.  Baby James was so over-full from his shrimp eating extravaganza, that the kid wanted to sleep the whole Museum visit.  He literally stayed sleeping on my shoulder for most of the time - he has never done that before.  I put him in the corner of the Museum floor and he stayed sleeping - until his brother nicely woke him up, that is.


Joel Andrew jumped around, laughed, played and was such a good boy.  He followed us to the park and had a great time just being with his parents.  We really lucked out with such a good kid.  At numerous points throughout the day he would burst into song, and sing "Happy Mother's Day to You" - in the birthday song rhythm.  So super cute.  I am so super lucky.

Later that night the full stress that our awesome weekend was over hit, and we all had a tantrum while cleaning up and getting ready for the week ahead.  It was sad, but we managed to pull it together and enjoy one last fun evening with lobsters on the porch.  The kids gave big kisses to everyone, and really seemed to have a great time with all the attention paid and all the family that visited.  It really was a wonderful Mother's Day and one of the more memorable and fun weekends I have ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment