Sunday, May 27, 2012
Roommates
So, you may think this is an odd post. Either you or your children shared a room, it is not weird. Why would this be such a big deal? I will tell you why, this mommy was spoiled as an only child growing up and does not like to share a room. My whole life I got away pretty much without sharing a room. Of course, in sleep away camp I had to, but that was just for 8 weeks in the summer. Even in college, I became dorm president so that I could get a single. Besides my husband, there is really only one other person in my whole life I have shared a room with, love you Walsh!
So, it was quite momentous that my two boys are sharing a room this weekend. We are very lucky to have a cabin on Sebago Lake in Maine right next to my inlaws, our cabin has three bedrooms. But after the past three summers of shuffling everything around, moving pack n plays and diapers and clothes from one house to the next, one room to the next, depending on what our guest situation was for the weekend - I dedcided that no, we were not going to do that anymore. One of my new year's resolutions was to simplify, and simplify we will! The boys will have their own room, "buckaroo bunkhouse" - a name stolen from a good friend's camp up in Boothbay. A room lined with twin beds and from now until college these boys will camp out in there, along with their friends, every weekend.
So, as you know I am sleep crazy. My children are not allowed to wake earlier than 7am each morning. My toddler stays in his bed, until we get him no matter what. So, putting them in a room together was a big risk. But now is the time. Perhaps if we get them used to this now, they can just expect it moving forward. It will make things so much easier when traveling. Plus, we have the fact that baby James is confined to the pack n play in our favor, as he is the kid that will so obviously get up and cause trouble in the morning at some point...
So, they did great. James goes to bed first, and then 30 minutes later Joel Andrew sneaks in and goes to bed as well. They are on opposite sides of the room with lots of white noise (two fans). They woke up this morning at 6:30, which I will take, as long as it doesn't get any earlier... But by 6:45 they were giggling and playing, James confined to his pack n play and Joel Andrew not daring to leave his bed. So super cute.
I think it also helps that this is the first weekend at the lake, and they are being tired out at every turn. So I am psyched! Hopefully things will be easy now that we are not playing room shuffle every weekend. Our guests have their area that they can do as they please with, and perhaps we may even try to fit more little buggers in the buckaroo bunkhouse later on this summer. Hmmm... Two preschoolers and two toddlers all in one room, probably pushing it, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment