Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Day in the Life of a WM


There have been a few days recently that I have wanted to recount, balancing work and kids is hard, but fun.  I have been going such full speed since being back at work, that I haven't hardly a moment to sit down and reflect on anything, I have gained 6 pounds, and my closets and cabinets are already starting to look messy.  Damn.

The days I wanted to recount, where I shared my responsibilities as an employee, wife and mother, were generally good days, but by the time I get around to recounting it I have forgotten the intricacies and am onto the next thing, which is usually focusing on the blog posts that really matter to me now, the ones where the kids and I get to get out and do something fun.

Today is different, I have absolutely no balance between work and family today.  I have abandoned my family for Nantucket.  Sounds glamorous, but it is not.  Yes, I am wearing my obligatory Jack Rodgers shoes, I am not carrying a single diaper, and I was able to breeze through security without fumbling with a stroller... But I left my house at 4:45 am, and about to get on a puddle jumper of a plane (9 seats total, about 1/3 the size of the planes that go to Hilton head) and I am going to wait in the airport there for an hour, for my ride, go straight to a meeting for 3-1/2 hours, then get back to the airport where I will await my plane ride home.  So totally not glamorous.  It flat out stinks.

I missed the boys in the morning, and pretty much my favorite thing, all day is waking up the boys.  Baby James smile at 7am cannot be beat.  Joel Andrew gives me an awesome hug, and we all have a ball brushing teeth, etc.  I totally blew by this today, and actually it now occurs to me that my husband is now doing this for the first time on a work day....  Hmm, wonder how it's going right now...
Tonight I will get home after their bedtime, because as my plane lands in Boston at 5pm, there was no way I was going to fit the traffic home.  I am meeting my old boss for dinner, which will be nice.  There is my balance.

So, it is a bummer, and only the start.  At least two more trips to Nantucket, one to Martha's vineyard, and two to the berkshires are on the horizon for me this summer.

I found myself looking at the families, literally, a mom struggling with two car seats and two crying boys and I thought, oh how sad that my guys aren't here.  I passed by the kid port, a little kid play area and thought about them.  I briefly went into vineyard vines and contemplated purchasing $90 outfits for each of my boys out of the sheer guilt.  (they are so cute, little whales on the pants).  Ah, time to get on the plane.

So that was all written on my iPad before boarding, yesterday - I am just getting around to posting it now.  After the longest day ever, I was home by 9:30 and ready to sleep.  My laptop is broken, so I have been out of commission in getting work done which is impossible.  This morning I went in to wake my boys up, and James greeted me with the best smile ever.  Joel Andrew cried.  He wanted Daddy.  One day without me.  Awesome.  I wonder what will happen after my girls weekend away!

No comments:

Post a Comment