Sunday, June 17, 2012

North Shore Day: Wenham Museum, Long Hill and Appleton Farms


Sorry to post so many things in one weekend, but it has been a busy weekend!  Yesterday Joel Husband and Joel Andrew had time to themselves, they went to Funtown. I would write about it here, but I have no clue what happened except that they came home with about 1,100 cheesy stuffed animals and Joel Andrew told me he ate everything under the sun that is bad for him to eat.  Awesome.  Today was my day with Joel Andrew, and I pulled out the big guns.  But, when asked this afternoon which day he had more fun, Joel Andrew replied, "Funtown with Daddy."  Oh well, at least I tried.


So, I first took Joel Andrew to the Wenham Museum, which is in, you guessed it, Wenham.  It is pretty freaking awesome if I do say so, I highly recommend you bring your 3-4 year old here.  Past 4, not sure.  It was $13 for Joel and I to get in, and we spent an hour - I actually had to drag him to leave because I knew we had a lot else to do.  They have model trains everywhere that you can push the button and see move.  They also have little play areas for playing pretend.  There is a little cabin, and there are a few toy areas including one that has all the toy story toys - though not necessarily toy story branded, if you know what I mean.  Like, it has Mr. Potato Head and the little rolling phone thing, all toys that toy story used in the movie but did not create for the movie.  Pretty impressive Wenham Museum, I got it.

Downstairs there was a choo-choo you could get in, a place where you can pretend to sell choo-choo tickets, and a little cafe. I think it is $35 for a membership, if I lived in the area I would certainly do that.  I think we are going to have to get Grumpy back there to show him the trains.


After that we went to Mommy's work, at Long Hill in Beverly.  This is literally where Mommy works - though I like to say ever Trustees of Reservations property is Mommy's work.  This one is super neat, and secluded.  But, super awesome for littles.  Pack a picnic drive up the hill and just past the yellow house hang a right and park.  Walk towards the barn, and you are at an awesome children's garden where they can dig all they want, smell and feel different textures and look at all sorts of flowers.  There are picnic benches to relax and eat on, and then of course, there are the chickens, which are always a big hit.


After lunch, keep hiking up the driveway, past the apple orchard, where there are some awesome climbing trees (though Joel Andrew wanted none of it), and meander around the gardens around the house.  You could get lost, and the littles love to pick a path to walk down.  We saw Koi, a frog and a snake.  Pretty cool. We also took some great photos. Joel Andrew told me Mommy's work is awesome. If any of you actually read my blog for its intended purpose - to share with you some of the sights we take in and give advice that you should also see it - please take my advice here and make a trip to Long Hill with a picnic.  It is free for the public.  Chill out on the grass - you should have seen the families enjoying the awesome day, carving off a special part of the garden all for themselves.  Some had some bubbly with them too.  Wish I made friends with them.  Plus - if you are ever there mid-week, you can say hi to me!


Final stop on the Mommy trying to have a better day than Daddy did train was Appleton Farms, in Ipswich/Hamilton.  This was an open house day there, the place was alive.  We watched the cows make their daily trek to the milking barn, and almost saw them being milked - but Joel Andrew - like most of the kids - did not want to be inside the barn with all those cows for very long.  We saw a baby calf that was born on Wednesday, can you believe it?  And, I complained when James was born!


They had tours of their recently renovated old house, which is awesome.  The kitchen in there is top notch, and I hear they will start to having cooking classes soon - using the produce, milk, cheese, meat from the farm.  Um, YEAH!  Sign me up!  There were cows every where you looked, we got to sample the butter, and we played some games.


Driving out of the farm, I told Joel Andrew we can eat a cow for dinner, referencing the steak tips I might make.  He said: "I don't eat cows Mommy, cows are my friend."  Self-selecting vegetarian before the age of 3.  Nice.  Joel took a tiny nap on the ride home, and now it is time to get ready for the big week ahead.  But, I had a great time "working" today, with my big guy by my side!


No comments:

Post a Comment