Sunday, June 24, 2012
Field Farm, Wiliamstown
James was so jealous that Mommy and Joel Andrew had such an awesome time at Mommy's work last week, that Mommy brought James to Field Farm, in Williamstown this week. It is another property owned by my job, The Trustees of Reservations. I am kinda hoping that all my readers will become members of The Trustees, and help me to lobby that at least one of my children, in their cute little hat, should appear in their magazine or on their website. How cute are they at these sites, really?
So, we were at the relay in Pittsfield, and James needed a nap. He was not going to nap in our arms, we didn't have a stroller, or in the tent, so I decided to go for a ride, and he could sleep in the car. I know, not very green of me - but this way I got to see one of my company's properties that I hadn't seen before. So, I set out for Williamstown, and James pretty much passed out the second we pulled out of the lake site where the Relay was.
First I drove up Mount Greylock. I assumed there would be beautiful vistas. The GPC told me I could still get to Field Farm from the scenic road, but it wasn't until about 35 minutes in that I realized it was to get to the top, then turn around, then get to Field Farm. So, I turned around in the middle of the road and missed the top of Mount Greylock, probably by only 15 minutes, but oh well. James slept, it was a nice wooded and windy drive, all was good.
Then I was off to Field Farm, and I was surprised how close it was to Pittsfield. It is literally right at the edge of Williamstown, so you are pretty close, and it is right off the major access road there. It was a former private home, that is modern in design, and is now owned by The Trustees and has been converted into an Inn. It is awesome. So beautiful, you cannot begin to imagine. The actual home with the inn itself is not the most impressive when you fist look on it, but that is because you literally pull into the back end of it. Once you walk around, take in the gardens, and see the back of the house, you are amazed. There is even a second house, called the Folly - see James in front of it below, which is super cool. There are modern sculptures all over the grounds and it is super quiet. There are even 4 miles of trails there, all marked really well (though of course we didn't do them, just the start of them) and a little picturesque pond.
I have dreams of renting the whole inn out on my 40th birthday and just having fun and friends and wine and good food. This place is great. James enjoyed just walking around and taking it all in. Another place with expanse and he could walk and walk and walk and there would be no problem.
Originally, I had just plan to drive there, jump out while he was sleeping and take a few quick shots, then get in the car and drive back to the Relay, but he woke up when we arrived. It was great though, because we had a great time discovering this place together. I hope I get back there again soon, and not just for work! I hear that inside is even more fantastic with Modern art everywhere.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment