On Wednesday we packed up the car, with a petrified cat and a thrilled baby, and headed to my parent's "harbor" house on Lake Michigan, in New Buffalo, Michigan. You pass through Indiana on your way to the house, where there is a shopping mall, where we shopped... So, this trip I'd like to say he has been to three states. That makes it like 20 total for this guy, and he is not even a year.
Shopping at the Lighthouse Mall was a bit of a disaster. It was just my mom and I, and the little guy. J was a mess during the whole shopping experience, so we took turns trying things on and paying while someone went outside and walked with him. We later learned from my father that no man likes the Lighthouse Mall. My dad totally took his side, and I am sure my husband would agree that J "saved us money" by forcing us to be quick and run out of there.
Thursday Grumpy, J and I took a nice long walk all around New Buffalo. We walked along the docks, saw boats. Walked along the harbor to the beach, and then played on the swings. It was gorgeous out! Then, lunch at the famous Stray Dog and home for our evening event... Grammie insisted upon hiring a photographer to take pictures of us at their house, and on the beach. Of course the best time to photograph is at night, and past his bedtime. But, we got through it. He was not his constant smiley-self but we got a few smiles out of him. I will post the photos when I get them!
Friday-Saturday-Sunday was a lot of eating, hanging around the house, playing and conversing with neighbors. He definitely has "Hi" (not speaking, just a wave) down now. But, we can't get him to do the same thing for Bye yet. He sits himself up and stands himself up only by crawling all over me, but the good news is that I do not help him at all and he gets these things done. He came here with the ability to cruise, but never really went crazy with it - now he goes from one thing to the next, no problem. I am working on "touchdown" - him putting his arms straight up. He gets this while lying down but not while sitting or standing. We have also hopefully moved the mushed food thing out (he makes a mess when he is done with his food by mushing it all over his tray), but now he is throwing it. Nice. It was a great visit and now I am making Grammie and Grumpy watch him while I pack and blog, and soon - watch the finale of Lost. We are looking forward to our trip back in December - for the Pat's game! It is hard to believe that his next trip back he will be walking and maybe talking!
Sounds like you've had a great trip! I'm sure Joel is lonely without you though :-) Try those suction plate/bowls for J. It made a huge difference for us with Cameron throwing food. We also got the sippy cup leashes which helps in restaurants, strollers, etc.
ReplyDeleteHe gets cuter every day.
ReplyDelete