Tuesday, May 18, 2010

TSA

Ah, TSA. You stink. I was going to start this as a Dear Terrorist letter, but then thought that the FBI would read this and shut me down. So instead I will just recap the evilness that is the experience of flying with a 10 month old.

It is not the airline, Southwest was the best. I took my big stroller with me and everything, no problem (well, the base part with the car seat attachment and the car seat went with us on the plane, while the chair for the stroller was inside my suitcase, checked). I checked the car seat base, no problem. Three things checked in total (that stroller chair took up 1 whole suitcase!) - and we did not have to pay any extra. I carried on two bags too. Southwest is the best. They were very helpful. I was early in line, so we got good seats. The car seat fit just fine in the plane seat - I was very worried about this since we have the SnugRide32, which is bigger than most infant seats - we gate-checked the base to the stroller, no problem.

So, all successful, right? Nope! Going through security was the worst! It is never pleasant to go through security, but add a 10 month old and forget it. They have this new rule now - which they did not have the last time I flew - where if you bring on baby food or formula, they get to frisk you. I mean pat me down from head to toe. They went through everything in my bag and wiped it with the bomb detecting cloth. They took apart the stroller and car seat. And wanted me to put the baby on the ground while this was all going on. Gross! Not to mention, for ease of going through security I purposefully wore flip flops because I knew shuffling with shoes and the baby would be too much. So, I stood on gross airport floor for twenty minutes while they did all this! Moral of the story, large white women with expensive strollers, Vera Bradley diaper bags and 10 month old babies are apparently a massive threat to this country. Perhaps racial profiling is dead?

Anyway, we made it. It was a smooth trip otherwise. As soon as we got through the security madness we did some "walking" laps around the airport which appropriately tired him out for the plane ride. I knew to wait this time before offering the bottle, so it was not until the plane was on the runway that I did. He fell asleep within twenty minutes of take-off, and woke up with just twenty minutes left before landing. My little traveller.

So, we are here! Chicago for my guy! More fun posts to follow...

1 comment:

  1. WTF? Totally different from my experience traveling at 6 months with Cameron. I wonder if this is because of the Christmas almost bombing? Or the new sniffers being installed in security lines? I carried Cameron in her Baby Bjorn and I didn't even have to take her out of it when I walked through the detector. I just sent her car seat and stroller attachment through the belt and we were good to go. When we were BFing I had to open the milk and they waived a wand over it and off we went. I'm planning to fly up to Boston in August so I'm curious how things will be different. Have fun in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete