Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Castle Hill and Crane Beach (Crane Estate)

Today we went to the Crane Estate in Ipswich, Mass. This is owned by The Trustees of Reservations, my former employer. (Aren't you impressed that I made a hyperlink?). The beach is way popular here in the Northeast. In fact, when people say "You work for whose Trustees?" I would typically reply: "They own Crane Beach." And people would then say, "Ooohh, I LOVE that place!"

Ironically enough, The Trustees own over 100 more reservations across the Commonwealth. And, now that I do not work there anymore I can be brutally honest-- they are all awesome. Actually, the Crane Estate is ridiculously beautiful, magnificent, etc. - but it is not even my favorite. I like Coskata-Coatue in Nantucket, World's End in Hingham, Long Hill in Beverly, and my favorite, Long Point on Martha's Vineyard. But enough of my Trustees ad, and now down to review.
I went with two other Moms today, Lauren and her son Declan and Kim and her daughter Maddy. It was all of ours first time at the beach, so we were overwhelmed and excited. What do we bring? What do they wear? Is there enough sunscreen on this planet for them? We decided that since it was all of our first time we were not going to dare try eating at the beach, and instead picked a sand-free zone for a picnic. Castle Hill. This is a part of the Crane Estate, the summer home of the Crane's (think toilet). Built in 1928, it is massive (see photo above). Do you know a house was built there previous, but they did not like it, so they razed it and built this one? WOW!... Anywho, this place is the home of some very famous films, including The Witches of Eastwick, and the latest, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (Matthew McConaughey fans shout out there). Besides the point, it is breathtaking. Today, you can have your wedding here. Or, show up on a Thursday night in the summer for a concert, or bring your baby and friends for a picnic pre-beach on a Tuesday afternoon!

It only costs $5 to bring your car onto the Estate grounds weekdays ($8 weekends). There are lots to visit. Walk around the house, see the sunken Rose garden, and walk down the Grand Allee. This is huge, and goes down to the water. Kiddos can run forever it seems, all within a parents watchful eye and voice. Very few people are around - they are all at the beach it seems. So, if you go, a stop here is worth it! Lauren and Kim both kept saying that they could not believe how beautiful it is! This year The Trustees' changed the way you approach the house (more fitting to the way the Crane's approach the house) - and boy is it awesome! The views are amazing.
It does not cost extra to visit the house on the Estate. Just save your receipt for $5, and when you show up at the beach gate just down the road show it to the guard. They will deduct the $5 from the $15 per car price for parking at the beach ($25 on the weekends). Ipswich residents, lucky ducks, get in free. Trustees' members get in free or with deep discount depending on level of membership. You bet J and I were free entries! Anywho, park and walk to the deck/concessions area. There is a place to get to the beach with a stroller from here. There are nice bathrooms, showers, concessions, etc. All you need.
The beach is one of the better I have found in New England. Not rocky, nice and flat, but PACKED! It did not help that we went at high tide. LOTS of kids there, we kept thinking, aren't they supposed to be in school? Some tips we have learned about beach-going with kids: I found it very easy to get to the beach with all of my stuff in using my hiking backpack (and I know this seems very yay Trustees, but Yay Trustees! since they were the ones who got it for me as a going away/welcome baby gift!). He was secure and safe, and I had my hands free to lug a bag. We had one big blanket for the group, and a sun tent, which actually proved to be quite useful.
Our kids are still little, so they kind of just looked at the water. Some walking around the water, some sitting in the water, but nothing too exciting. Mostly it was all about the scenery, and beach toys. I was glad I brought extra bathing suits though, because I hear those swimmy diapers can get icky if left on too long. We all decided that we would get better and better at this as time goes on, and we would not lug an entire wardrobe of items to the beach next time. My black cover-up was perfect to mask the sand and water mess! Boy has that thing been through a lot...
The kiddos had a great time! Unfortunately, J had an incident which left him face-planted in the sand, but I was the one that whined the most about that one. After the beach Lauren, Declan, J and I rewarded ourselves with some native clams from the Clam Box (next time Kim and Maddy!). A very important stop! Looking forward to more beach days, hoping you guys out there will sign on! Any other suggestions for favorite beaches?


1 comment:

  1. Forgot to note another learned thing: When purchasing those swimmy/water shoes, make sure they have something to pull them tight at the top like a gather to help secure the shoes on. J's kept coming off in the sand/water, but Maddy's were just fine!

    ReplyDelete