Thursday, June 3, 2010

Strawbery Banke

Yesterday we went to Strawbery Banke with Maddy and Kim. Pat and Brit were to come, but it seems as though Pat is all-talk and no game!
I have been obsessed with going there ever since I applied to a development job a few years back. They called me for an interview, but wanted to downgrade from the position I actually applied for. I politely declined. I was also interested as for my historic house background. How did they get that many houses in one small area, with only moving two or three to the site? Well, this remains to be answered. I will google research it today.
As with many museums, it was mobbed with school groups. I was especially annoyed as my staff MFA card got me nowhere, and usually gets me and a guest in free. AAA worked to save $2 though! But, $13 for a walking around historic Portsmouth was not my favorite. You can actually just walk around outside for free and get the same experience. But, it was not all bad... My main gripe lies in the fact that most of the houses closed by 2 (was not aware of this), and their children's discovery center is not even open mid-week. So, it was tough going with the little ones in this historic home haven. They also have gotten rid of the animals. Sad. Even the docent who orients you at the start of your tour did not know what to say to us... At least arm the lady with some make-up to dos with people's babies and toddlers. I should have guessed this was going to not be the best place when all my local mom friend's declined attending this event.
But, otherwise it was really great for the gardens. We got lots of ideas for things to plant, all plants are labeled there really nicely. If you are about to plant anything - herbs, veggies, annuals, perennials - go here and you can see things in full bloom and what works well with others. There was also a nice local artist exhibit with paintings on loan from all sorts of places. We liked running into the costume people, but it was not as fun as Disney... My favorite though was one of the tour guides in one of the homes. He did not sneer our our little ones and welcomed us in and gave us the low-down on the place and the institution. But, we still are a little foggy about how everything got there altogether.
All in all, it was a good day. The giant lawn was fun for running around. I wish they had some animals though - could they partner with NHSPCA to offer a barn area, and a learning facility? Demonstrations of yarn spinning would be so neat. Can the Discovery Center be open mid-week too? I feel like the place has the potential to be as good as Plimoth Plantation, but maybe it just does not have the man-power and funding to do so mid-week? I heard they had some cuts a few years back.

Next time the kiddo may need to be older. It was difficult to navigate the stone paths with the strollers, and of course a historic house can be rough with little hands. I am determined to figure this out though! There must be a way to make it so that younger ones can enjoy (or at least younger ones can be entertained while moms and dads enjoy) the historic home experience. Does it have to be off-limits to young families? I am going to ask my Historic New England buddies their thoughts... Maybe I can make a play-day at one of their homes - without furniture for a start. Just like they say about food, introduce it to them from an early age and they will be interested throughout their life. Can't we say the same about history? But for now... Strawbery Banke - if you like gardens - I would make a visit! But otherwise, wait a few years, and go on the weekend when it is more open...

No comments:

Post a Comment