Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Franklin Park Zoo

Ok, will announce it off the bat. I have a Love-Hate relationship with the Franklin Park Zoo. J, loves it. I, hate it. Well, I do not hate it, but I recall saying several times today, "That is going in the review." And, "A for company, F for location."
We did have a great afternoon, despite some speed bumps. Actually, if the speed bumps of today were the worst I ever have to deal with, then come on whiner blog lady... But I shall digest. Kim (with Maddy) and I were there early. We went to park, which was very confusing because there is no signage. I shall also preface this that the GPS took us all through some scary parts of Dorchester. I really can handle scary things, and this was scary. Alas, we ended up at a Zoo parking lot, where a bus driver promptly screamed at us for taking his "space" around his bus, one quick phone call to the zoo and we were nicely directed to another lot (Giraffe lot) - best lot ever!
We got out, and met up with other friends at the Giraffe area. Nice little picnic in the shade, a great chance to get to know one another. Amy and Milly are now old friends! It was my first time seeing Jen in a while, Amy's daughter Mill is just 8 days younger than Jen's Elena. Joel is 8 days younger than Milly, so it was a good age combination crowd. We picnicked, and then set off. The school groups were crazy! But once they cleared, the Zoo was like a ghost town. But, by then it was clear to us that most of the Zoo was closed.
That was the biggest bummer about the visit. Again, the company an A - but the exhibits not so good. It seems as though they are about to undergo a massive renovation, as many of the exhibits were closed, or desolate. I know, it is no Bronx or San Diego Zoo... But, still. They kind of need the renovation, we noticed, as there were only 3 stalls in one of the main bathrooms. How is this possible? We came upon this restroom at probably the worst time possible, with a 20 minute school group line, but still...
It was not all bad! J had a GREAT time. Each time I took him out of the carriage to show him an animal, he squealed with delight. He walked right up to the gorilla, no fear this kid. Do you see the photo above? That alone was worth the day. He later was laughing at one of the birds so much, that Jen noted: "Maybe he will get your laugh!" So, we will have to visit more and more zoos... Anyone know of any more near me?

2 comments:

  1. What do you do for naps when you do this sort of excursion? We go to the Stone Zoo - it is so close to our house. I actually have a membership that includes a third card holder so our nanny can take them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! I have always wanted to go to the Stone Zoo. J is still on the two naps a day schedule, and car rides to these places are usually an hour. So, I put him in for morning nap during car ride, and by the time we are on the way home it is afternoon nap. We did this for the beach too. Sometimes I end up driving around for a little bit too... I am not sure how this will translate back to a crib nap tomorrow and will keep you posted. I feel like he is going through a spirt, and the 1 hour each has not been enough for him the past two days...

    ReplyDelete