Monday, October 7, 2013

Birthday Weekend Extravaganza


I turned older this past weekend, and boy did I celebrate.  We had girls night out in Portsmouth Friday night, went to the Beer Festival in Exeter Saturday, had a BBQ at the house Saturday night, and then yesterday had people over for the game.  I am exhausted.  I think I might have done myself better if I slept more this weekend, but you only live once.


In addition to not sleeping, I ate a ridiculous amount, and drank a lot too.  I think detox needs to happen soon.  But, Hedy and Dave are coming around the corner.  I am not sure when or how I am going to stop this slow and steady weight gain and get back to the size that all my clothes are...  Someone please pass on the magic words of inspiration.


We had nice kid playing time during our BBQ on Saturday.  Uncle Mat ran and ran and played with the kids, all of them, while Joel Husband, Brian, Lauren and I sat and watched.  To be fair, we were all watching the baby, Colin.  Eh.  Colin watches himself, we were all drinking.  Mat was running, playing games, playing pretend, having a great time with all the kids.  Finally we all felt so sad and lazy that we got up and participated.  It reminded Lauren and I how sad it is that when we have a rest time we just want to rest, that at times we think playing with the kids is a bother or a burden.  When in reality, playing with them should be the most fun thing ever.  I am going to work on this, I hope.  After the house is clean, the laundry is folded, and oooh... Is that Tom Hanks on the Today Show now?  Yes, you can watch another Octonauts.  No, really, I am going to start.


Possibly the best parenting move ever (and I mean this) came when after dinner and dessert, the kids all go into their sleeping beds and watched a movie (the Croods) projected on the house, outside - while the adults sat nearby at the bonfire.  Adult conversation was had, and kiddos who had been running around all afternoon and were staying up past their bedtime got to rest but still be with each other.  At the point where Uncle Mat got up to help his daughter with something, and we noticed he was still sitting there entirely engrossed in the movie after 20 minutes - Lauren and I decided that Mat is just a kid too.  Ha!

It was a great Bday and fun was had by all!  Mental note - don't try to bring two kids under the age of 5 to a beerfest, it won't work...


No comments:

Post a Comment