Monday, October 28, 2013

The Coast of Maine with Joel Andrew

Each year I like to take a trip up to the Camden, Maine area and get some shopping done for the holidays.  We see my friend Dana, and we get to go to my old favorite haunts from when I was a little kid in sleepaway camp.  Joel Husband generally stays home, with one other child, and I take one.  Three years ago it was Joel, last year it was James, and this year it was Joel again.  


We ate lunch at Gritty's and Joel Andrew was speechless and excited to have Mommy time.  Even though we had just had our time in Rochester, much of that was with Ama and Grumpy.  So, this too was new.  He was sad and kept saying how he missed Daddy and Jamesy.  We had a lovely lunch and were eating on their bench tables.  All of the sudden, out of nowhere, Joel falls.  The entire restaurant turns and collectively says: "Awe!"  To which I almost shouted, no!  No!  Don't feel bad for him, because then he is going to… and there is was, massive balling crying.  Women were running around getting ice packs and asking if he needed a Dr.  The kid was fidget -midgeting in his chair and fell off.  He will survive.  But the more people Awed, the more he cried.  Finally everyone calmed down and we finished our meal.

Joel Husband had given Joel Andrew $100 for the overnight to buy anything he wanted.  (I know, ridiculous!  but, it isn't as bad as it sounds, read on).   His first purchase was an electric orange Gritty's hat for him and Daddy to share.  He gave the man a $20 to pay for it, and the man gave him $3 and change back.  Joel's face lit up with glee.  The kid thinks more bills equals more money.  Clearly he does not even know what he had to play with in the first place.


We carried on, and saw our friends Dana and Eben and their little girl Elise.  We caught a chicken that had got out, which was pretty much the most favorite thing I did this year.  I totally want chickens, Joel Andrew wants a moo-cow.  I am guessing we will get neither.  We visited, and Joel played so nicely with Elise's toys.  Then we went to the hotel.  Joel Andrew LOVES hotels and I was super psyched for this visit.  I love the Lord Camden Inn, have been going there since I was a little kid and have spent many a memorable moment there.  With my parents on night off from camp; the night after college graduation (crying); first weekend away with just James; and now our night out with Joel Andrew.  I always get a different room and this visit we had the top floor, views of the harbor.  It was AWESOME.  This morning I just stood out there with my coffee.  I want to retire here.  Joel Husband and I can meet half was from the lake every once in a while for dinner?

Anyway, this leads us to purchases number two and three for Joel Andrew.  We walked around town and we were able to get in the Smiling Cow which is usually closed for the season by now.  Joel found PJs that "are like my other PJS" - the Lazy One brand - for 75% off.  He read the numbers on the tag, $8 - yes you can have those.  This, and he really, really, wanted Clifford the Big Red Dog.  The BIG Clifford the Big Red Dog was $200, which I explained even Santa could not afford, so he settled on a small one.  Then immediately after leaving the store exclaimed: "I should have bought James one too so that I won't have to share."

Dinner with Dana was awesome.  We played I spy with my little eye for a bit - Joel was quick to correct Dana when she didn't say the entire I spy sentence… Back to the room and then Monsters University before bed.  Joel Andrew started to get scared of the movie but I really wanted to see it since I hadn't seen it before, so we held hands, watched it with the light on and then went to bed.  Funny thing - I am always saying how I can hear anything.  I could hear that the room below us had a movie on.  I could hear the movie was actually Sabrina.  Is it possible to have too good hearing?

Moving on as I am sure you are on the edge of your seat for the remainder of Joel's purchases.  The way home we stopped at Moody's diner and of course I had pie for breakfast (Joel grilled cheese).  At the gift shop Joel HAD TO HAVE large yellow sunglasses.  When you flip up the lenses it makes you look like Mickey.  Right now I am starting to get worried that every store we have been to he has picked something out and I am making a monster, and he notices: "just $2" Mommy.  Learning commerce.  It was a deal.  Of course, when we got home with them Joel Husband approved.

Then, Freeport!  Joel Andrew bought a hat, gloves and slippers for school.  (see, better parenting here, this is what we really needed), and then he bought us lunch.  Good times. Mommy spent way too much money on all Christmas presents, but we are done!  Yay!  With all the craziness that will be happening between now and the holidays - I had to be this on top of it.  This week, I need to print our photo books!

Good night away with my guy.  Next year, James' turn….  Oh, and when we got home, James' first words of greeting were: "What's that?  (points at Clifford), I want one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment