Thursday, April 14, 2011

What's in a Name?

So, it is time to try and pick a name for Deuce. No, we are not going to call him Deuce forever. Name suggestions? Thoughts?

We have some stipulations.
  1. The name must not be too common. Can't pair a common name with the most common last name around.
  2. We have a hard time agreeing upon family names, so I am thinking they are just out. I think Williams is already a family name but my husband would insist that if I used a first or middle name from my family line that he also use a first or middle name from his. He does not see my argument that his is already covered through the use of Williams. Plus, this is the last chance for any Hall family name to carry on as I am an only of an only. Husband has another sibling who is yet to have children who can carry on names there. So, as you can see this is quite contentious with the potential for angerment, so we shall probably steer clear of this. Either that or at the height of labor pains I will re-suggest the name I want to use.
  3. We are particular about what initials spell. For instance, WWW, JEW are not really acceptable.
  4. Although all of our current names start with J, we are not wed to Deuce's name starting with a J.
  5. I must google the full name. If I come up with a murderer, pedophile, or something else that I find not too great to be associated with, it is out.
Here is one idea:

Julian Joel: This came up as a good idea, as you know my nickname is Drew. So, we had fun and named our first son Joel Andrew. Should we have even more fun and name our second son Julian Joel? This is actually too ridiculous for me. Plus, we would always be saying it, since our sons would in fact then be Julian and Joel. Pluses, Julian is unique and fun. Julian Edelman is a good Patriots football player. And Julian and Joel (as in the two brothers who names are sure to be said together for eternity) sounds quite nice.

I will not really go into detail of the other names we have thrown around. I don't want people to get too committed to a name at this point. I know some of you are already devastated that we are not actually going to use Deuce... Plus, I always remember the story of my conversation with a neighbor who was 9 months pregnant with her first girl. She was so proud to tell me they had settled on a name. Claire. I blurted out "That's a fat girl's name." (NAME THE MOVIE). Ever since then I have been very careful not to remark on name choices and/or spill mine too soon!

But, we did buy a book the "5-Star Baby Name Advisor" that should be helpful? I think. They have their own crack-pot definitions for baby names. I thought I would share a few with you today:

Alex: Folks think Alex is a class clown who's charming and smart, but he has a tendency to be too immature and cocky for his own good.

Barrett: Barrett is viewed as a snobby, know-it-all pansy spoiled by his posh upbringing. (what childhood kid named Barrett tortured this author?).

Clarence: Clarence is described as a doofy and timid mama's boy.

What are your suggestions?



4 comments:

  1. Breakfast Club!

    I like using Hall in there. Our agreement was girls middle names were family names from my family and boys were his. But with two of the same sex and no more kids coming, you should get your due. Especially since Joel got a Joel. I would do Something Hall Williams. Not sure about the something yet. I think it needs to be short...to go with all your names which are short in length. Maybe include where you met....maybe Colby Hall Williams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with using Hall. Perhaps has a middle name (I am kind of anti-hyphen last names and if I remember correctly, so are you). If I was going to have a boy I wanted William Robert (both family names) but my husband refused to let me name our kid "Billy Bob". How about Andrew as a nod to your nicknam name? That way you both have kids named after you. Actually, that's kind of an awesome idea if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Julian! Does adult Joel have a nickname or middle name that would work for deuce's middle name because I do think Joel Andrew will use it to his advantage later in life when you are yelling for the boys attention and shout "Julian & Joel" Joel Andrew can easily ignore you and say "I thought you were talking to Julian Joel". However if Julian has a different middle name you can shout whatever you what with no confusion. I also like Hall very much!! Good luck. (Mat likes Alex a lot, I like it for a girl and he likes it for a boy so we'll see...)

    You should totally get a family name with NO argument- he has a Joel Williams for a son- he's set!!!!! Besides you carried them for 10 months and had to birth them- that's like 5 extra votes (at least) for what you want!

    KimS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Julian, but pairing it with Joel as a middle name might be one too many Joel's in your family to keep straight :-). I think Hall would make a wonderful middle name, and you should not feel guilty about having your family represented.

    There's a website called nymbler.com that will suggest baby names based on names you like. I typed in Joel and Andrew as inspiration names (since you guys must like those names!), and some of the ones the website came up with were: James (Jamie and Joel might be cute!), Henry, Benjamin, Jesse, Owen, Nicholas, Oliver (if Lucy had been a boy, we were going to name her Oliver Thomas), Julian (see? Your suggestion is a good one!), Wesley, Miles, and a bunch of other names.

    Good luck choosing!

    ReplyDelete